The Crispiest, Tastiest Crispy Chilli Beef EVER!
- Published on: 3/1/2021
- Crispy chili beef is my favourite dish from the Chinese takeaway, so it has a lot to live up to. I'm going to show you how to get that lovely craggy exterior and even better, we don't need to use the deep fryer! Perfect crispy strips of beef in a tangy spicy sauce, mmmm soo good!
Free printable crispy chilli beef recipe on our site: https://www.kitchensanctuary.com/crispy-chilli-beef/
• ¾ lb (360g) thin cut sirloin steaks - (approx 3 steaks) cut into thin strips*
• 1 small egg
• 4 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
• ¼ tsp salt
• ¼ tsp black pepper
• 1/8 tsp white pepper
• 4 ½ tbsp sunflower oil, divided
• 1 medium onion, sliced into thin strips
• 1 red chilli – finely sliced- discard the seeds if you don't like it too hot
• 1 tsp minced ginger
• 3 garlic cloves - peeled and minced
• 2 tbsp rice vinegar
• 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
• 2 tbsp tomato puree
• 6 tbsp caster (superfine) sugar
• 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
• 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
• Place the steak strips in a bowl and add the egg. Mix together to thoroughly coat the steak in the egg.
• Add the 4tbsp cornflour, ¼ tsp each of salt and pepper and 1/8 tsp of white pepper.
• Toss together to coat the steak. It will be a sticky mixture.
• Heat 3 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan (skillet) or wok over a high heat until very hot.
• When the oil is hot, add the beef in a strip at a time and spread it out. You will probably need to work in 2 batches.
• Fry the steak until dark brown and crispy. Try not to move the meat around too much as this reduces the amount of crispiness you get. It generally takes about 5 or 6 minutes to crisp up the beef, with about 3 or 4 stirs during that time.
• Using a slotted spoon, remove the beef from the pan and place it in a bowl lined with kitchen roll to soak up excess fat.
• Add a further tablespoon of oil and repeat - cooking the second batch of beef and then placing in the bowl with the first batch.
• Once you’ve removed all the beef from the pan, Its time to make the crispy chilli beef sauce, add the remaining ½ tbsp of oil to the pan and turn the heat down to medium.
• Add in the sliced onion and cook for 2 minutes until slightly softened.
• Add in the finely chopped chilli, 1 tsp minced ginger and 3 minced cloves of garlic and cook whilst stirring for 30 seconds.
• Add the 2 tbsp rice vinegar, 3tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp tomato puree, 6 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp tomato ketchup and the 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce to the pan. Turn up the heat and let it bubble for a couple of minutes until the sauce starts to reduce a little.
• Add the beef back in, give it a stir and heat through for 1-2 minutes – until the beef is hot.
• Serve with Egg fried rice, boiled rice or noodles.