DNA Fingerprinting | Genetics | Biology | FuseSchool

Share
Embed
  • 
    Loading...
  • Published on:  11/19/2019
  • CREDITS
    Animation & Design: Waldi Apollis
    Narration: Dale Bennett
    Script: Bethan Parry & Helen Stamp

    What is DNA fingerprinting or DNA profiling?

    Leicester University geneticist Alec Jeffreys developed a technique called DNA fingerprinting in 1985. It allows DNA samples from different people to be compared to look for similarities and differences. It is useful for solving crimes and can also confirm if people are related to each other, like in paternity testing. Any two people in the world have 99.9% of their DNA the same, so this process analyses the differences in the remaining 0.1%.

    This modern technology is called DNA profiling.

    SUBSCRIBE to the FuseSchool YouTube channel for many more educational videos. Our teachers and animators come together to make fun & easy-to-understand videos in Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths & ICT.

    VISIT us at www.fuseschool.org, where all of our videos are carefully organised into topics and specific orders, and to see what else we have on offer. Comment, like and share with other learners. You can both ask and answer questions, and teachers will get back to you.

    These videos can be used in a flipped classroom model or as a revision aid.

    Find all of our Chemistry videos here:
    https://www.201tube.com/video/cRnpKjHpFyg/video.html

    Find all of our Biology videos here:
    https://www.201tube.com/video/tjkHzEVcyrE/video.html

    Find all of our Maths videos here:
    https://www.201tube.com/video/hJq_cdz_L00/video.html

    Twitter: https://twitter.com/fuseSchool
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fuseschool/?hl=en

    Access a deeper Learning Experience in the FuseSchool platform and app: www.fuseschool.org
    Follow us: http://www.youtube.com/fuseschool
    Friend us: http://www.facebook.com/fuseschool

    This Open Educational Resource is free of charge, under a Creative Commons License: Attribution-NonCommercial CC BY-NC ( View License Deed: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ ). You are allowed to download the video for nonprofit, educational use. If you would like to modify the video, please contact us: info@fuseschool.org
  •                                        
Loading...

Comment