How to Make a Healthy, Authentic Chicken Balti in 15 Minutes
- Published on: 8/18/2015
- How to Make an Authentic, Healthy Chicken Balti With Chef Hussain.
🍛 What is a Chicken Balti?
Originating in Northern Pakistan, the Balti is a fresh, fragrant curry that has a thick tomato base. 🍅
Bought over to the UK in the 19th century, it's become a popular dish in the UK and you can now find it in most Indian restaurants.
The name Balti actually refers to the dish it is cooked in - a double handed deep wok-style pan - although you don't need this pan to make it.
🔥 Is a Balti Hot?
A Balti is made with chillies. It's unlikely to cause you any discomfort if you're used to spice, but if you don't like too much, consider cooling it down with some natural yoghurt.
-400g boneless chicken pieces in 4 tbsp rapeseed oil
-1 large onion
-2 large tomatoes
-4 small garlic cloves or 2 medium sized cut into big pieces
-salt to taste
-1/2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
-1/4 tbsp turmeric
-1/4 tbsp garam masala
-a pinch of kasuri methi
-2 green chillies and a sprig of coriander for garnish
For the rice:
-2 bay leaves
-1 medium cinnamon stick
-1 cup of basmati rice
-pinch of saffron
-pinch of haldi powder
-pinch of salt
-pinch of garam masala
1. Add four tablespoons of rapeseed oil to your pan and slowly heat.
2. While you wait for the oil to heat up, dice an onion.
3. Place the onions in the pan, there should be a subtle sizzle.
4. Leave the onions to fry and chop up four garlic cloves and a small piece of ginger.
5. Once the onions have browned, add a pinch of salt, garlic and ginger.
6. Leave to infuse and chop two large tomatoes, then throw them in.
7. Cook for 2-3 minutes on a medium heat and remember to keep stirring.
8. Add half a tablespoon of kashmiri chilli powder, a quarter tbsp of turmeric, a quarter tbsp of coriander powder, a quarter tbsp of curry powder and a pinch of kasuri methi.
9. Add the chicken to the pan and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
10. Chop and add two chillies and cook for a minute (alter to your preference).
11. Add one cup of water and reduce heat so the sauce is bubbling.
12. Add another pinch of kasuri methi to your balti, followed by a pinch of coriander leaves.
13. Cook until you're happy with the taste and consistency, then spoon the balti into a balti dish and garnish with fresh coriander.
14. Enjoy your curry!
For the rice:
1. Heat some water in a pan for the rice and throw in a two bay leaves and a medium cinnamon stick, a pinch of saffron, a pinch of haldi powder, a pinch of salt, an a pinch of garam masala
2. Add the rice and boil for 8-10 minutes - or to your desired texture.
Chef Hussain's tip: if you want a rich, tasty curry, use top-quality ingredients.
🎥 More Videos:
-How to Make an Authentic Chicken Jalfrezi - https://www.201tube.com/video/BotYQ5jHO_s/video.html
-How to Make a Malai Chicken Masala - https://www.201tube.com/video/y9WAfXImSKI/video.html
-How to Make an Authentic Chicken Madras - https://www.201tube.com/video/x0YPc7yUwvo/video.html
-How to Make a Vegetable Bhaji - https://www.201tube.com/video/hFA1xkjJ3fE/video.html
Facebook ➡️ https://www.facebook.com/BaltiHouseRishton/
Twitter ➡️ https://twitter.com/BaltiHouseRisht
YouTube ➡️ https://www.201tube.com/channel/UCHkZTzuUgr_dVWhXHURO8Dw
- Cooking (Interest) Balti (Food) Indian Food Curries healthy recipes