Flank Steak Tacos Recipe | Grilled Flank Steak on Santa Maria Style Grill
- Published on: 4/5/2018
- Flank Steak Tacos Grilled on a Santa Maria attachment for the Weber Kettle Grill
For more barbecue and grilling recipes visit: http://howtobbqright.com/
The Santa Maria attachment came from Gabbysgrills.com. It fits a 22” Weber for Santa Maria style cooking.
Santa Maria grills are popular in California and they work by simply raising and lowering the cooking grate over hot coals.
First the flank steak goes into a marinade for a couple hours. I combine tequila, lime juice, water, Worcestershire, fresh cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin for the marinade.
Start a couple chimneys of B&B Hickory Lump charcoal and add them to the Weber once hot. Place the Santa Maria attachment on the grill and spray the cooking grate with vegetable spray.
Give it a few minutes to get hot and adjust the cooking grate several inches above the hot coals. Place veggies right on the grate and grill for 5-10 minutes turning often. Cool and roughly chop. Place the tomatoes, onion, peppers, and cloves of garlic in a food processor.
Squeeze the lime halves and season with ground cumin, salt, and black pepper. Pulse until everything is combined and pour into bowl. Refrigerate the salsa for at least an hour.
Lower the Santa Maria right over the coals and sear the steaks for 1 ½ - 2 minutes on each side. Raise the grate several inches and continue to cook away from direct heat until it reaches medium rare about 125-130⁰ (or your desired doneness).
Remove each steak from the grill and place on a cutting board covered loosely with aluminum foil. While the steaks rest warm flour or corn tortillas on the grill. It only takes about 30 seconds on each side.
To serve these tacos; slice the flank steaks across the grain into thin strips. You can dress them with your favorite toppings.
If you don’t have a Santa Maria Grill this attachment is a good option for the Weber. Also you can create this recipe on any grill just set it up for a 2 zone fire. Give these Flank Steak Tacos a try!
Flank Steak Tacos Recipe
- 2 Flank Steaks (16-18oz each)
- 12oz Tequila Lime Marinade*
- 1 package Flour or Corn Tortillas
- 1 cup Fire Roasted Salsa*
- 1 cup Fresh Guacamole
- ¼ cup Cilantro chopped
- 1 small White Onion diced fine
- 1 Lime cut into wedges
- Mexican style Hot sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Course Ground Black Pepper
- Place flank steaks in a gallon ziplock bag and pour marinade (recipe below) over the steaks. Close the bag removing as much air as possible. Gently move the steaks around to cover completely in marinade. Rest in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Prepare Santa Maria or other charcoal grill for direct grilling with 2 chimneys of B&B Lump Hickory Charcoal.
- Remove flank steaks from marinade allowing excess marinade to drip off. Season the outside with a pinch of Kosher Salt and Black Pepper.
- Grill each steak close to the hot coals for 1 ½ minutes on each side. Raise the grill grate away from the hot coals and continue to cook to desired doneness (125⁰internal for medium rare).
- Rest flank steaks for 5-10 minutes on cutting board loosely tented with aluminum foil.
- Place tortilla shells on grill grate just above the hot coals to warm about 30 seconds on each side.
- Slice flank steaks across grain into thin strips.
*Tequila Lime Marinade Recipe
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2oz Tequlia
- 2oz Lime Juice
- 2 TBS Cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
*Fire Roasted Salsa Recipe
- 6 Roma tomatoes
- 2 Fresno peppers
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 white onion (cut in half)
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 Lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Prepare grill for direct cooking over lump charcoal.
- Wash and paper towel dry vegetables.
- Place tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, and lime on hot grill.
- Cook until outer skin chars turning often about 5-10 minutes total.
- Cool on cutting board and roughly chop. Add vegetables to a food processor along with cumin and several pinches of Salt and Pepper.
- Pulse food processor until all ingredients are combined. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate for an hour.
- (Optional) Add finely chopped cilantro before serving.
For Killer Hogs BBQ Sauce, Rub and Competition BBQ equipment, visit: https://h2qshop.com/
- Malcom Reed HowToBBQRight How To BBQ Right flank steak tacos flank steak recipe flank steak marinade beef flank steak grilled flank steak recipes bbq flank steak