🇺🇸 Undocumented in Trump's America | Fault Lines
- Published on: 5/10/2017
- Undocumented in Trump's America
The removal of undocumented immigrants from the US is at the centre of US President Donald Trump's domestic agenda. Two executive orders signed five days after he took office signal a radically broad approach to immigration enforcement.
While deportations under the Obama administration reached record highs - just under half a million in 2016 according to statistics from the Department of Homeland Security - it appears the Trump White House is determined to go further, and faster.
President Trump has promised thousands of new Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers and border patrol agents in a bid to execute harsher punishments for immigration violations and facilitate deportations.
With local law enforcement threatened into proactive action within their own communities, immigrants have also mobilised to try and better understand their options and rights should ICE come knocking on their doors.
Fault Lines' Josh Rushing explores the shifting sands of deportation, speaking to families caught in the dragnet and communities determined to fight back.
Producer: Nicole Salazar
Correspondent: Josh Rushing
DP: Victor Suarez
Editor: Warwick Meade
Sound Mix: Linus Bergman
Production Assistance: Annette Appiah
Senior Producer: Hanaan Sarhan
Executive Producer: Mathieu Skene
- Subscribe to our channel: http://aje.io/AJSubscribe
- Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AJEnglish
- Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aljazeera
- Check our website: http://www.aljazeera.com/
- United States immigrant Fault Lines Al Jazeera English al Jazeera donald trump deportation trump al jazeera fault lines deporations fault lines fault line trump ameri undocumented mexico illegal immigration undocumented valedictorian undocumented dad taken by ice while dropping kids off at school trump president racist trump hearthstone trump impeachment aljazeera english al jazeera english Undocumented in Trump's America Trump's America