Broken Rusty Lock with Missing Key - Restoration

Share
Embed
  • 
    Loading...
  • Published on:  12/20/2019
  • In this video i'm restoring an old broken and rusty Padlock.

    This Padlock was sent to me by one of my subsrcibers from Italy. Right when I saw the picture I knew I want to restore this lock and I was impatiently waiting for the package to arrive. I found out that his padlock was made in Germany by Kamp in the 1930s. The lock was very rusty, the key was missing and it seemed to be broken. It was also very rusty inside, all moving parts were stuck and the closing mechanism was broken. Due to the amount of damage on the case due to rust I decided to paint it. This way I can use filler to achieve a nice finish, otherwise I'd had to sand all pitting off and there was just not enough material left to do so. The plates from the mechanism were damaged a lot too, but they were all still functional. So I only removed all sharp edges and gave them a nice bluing finish for rust protection. The aluminium part, where the key comes in was damaged a lot too and had a lot of play in the case. If I would sand it clean it would get even more play. For those reasons I decided to make a new one, I choose bronze because it would fit better to the overall look at the end. Making the key was quite a challenge, but it turned out very well and it actually worked. In my opinion the padlock turned out very well and I'm very happy with the endresult.

    I hope you like my work and the video.

    Huge thank you to all of my Patreon and PayPal supporters and specially to:

    Daniele Castoldi
    Tyler Nelson
    Afreeflyingsoul
    Gregory
    Ricardo David
    Adel AlSaffar
    Alan Hanson
    Amanda Taylor, Esq
    Andreswara Hermawan
    Andrew Phillips
    audi4444player
    Courtney Maleport
    Dan Williams
    Dre Gilley
    Ethan Hartley
    Hunter R.
    JD Smith
    Jonas Richartz
    LVE
    Mellissa Marcus
    Nick Cannon
    Paul Ambry
    Paul Mampilly
    Shawn Daniels
    Trevor Kam
    TRG Restoration
    Vince Valenti
    Yale Baker
    Zachary Grimes


    Timestamps:

    00:00 preview
    00:39 disassembling
    02:09 showing all the parts
    02:22 cleaning the parts with the parts washer
    02:50 sandblasting
    03:29 restoring the case
    06:18 restoring the shackle
    07:38 making two brass parts to support the shackle sideways
    08:17 restoring the plates
    08:58 remaking the broken part
    10:09 making a new spring
    10:53 making new pins on the lathe
    11:37 making three rings for the blind rivets
    12:08 making a new front cover
    13:34 making a new part for the key on the lathe and mill
    15:19 making a new key
    18:12 showing the parts before reassembling
    18:31 reassembling
    20:25 showing the finished restoration
    21:05 final test


    Time and costs of this restoration:

    I was working on this project for 2 week
    $10 steel for the frontplate and closing mechanism
    $10 steel for the pins and key
    $50 paint
    $25 rivets


    My camera:
    Panasonic HC-V180


    If you have any questions about the process, machines i'm using or other stuff, just ask me in the comments. I read them all and i try to reply as soon as possible.

    Sorry for my bad english, it's not my language. I try my best to improve my technical english.

    Subscribe for more of my content. I'm uploading videos about mechanical stuff, as new creations and buildings and also restorations.

    Thank you for watching :-)


    „I make a new one“ T-Shirts:
    https://teespring.com/stores/my-mechanics

    My Second Channel:
    https://www.201tube.com/channel/UC4EQCwfH54ieNPswtXh5K0w

    My Patreon Page:
    https://www.patreon.com/mymechanics

    Follow me on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/my_mechanics/

    My Facebook Page:
    https://www.facebook.com/My-mechanics-1966277857002099/
  •                                                    
Loading...

Comment