🇸🇻 El Salvador: Deportees Welcome: Between MS-13 & Call Centres | Witness | Deportados Bienvenidos
- Published on: 4/9/2018
- Every year, more than 13,000 people are deported from the United States to El Salvador. Many are returning to a country they have not seen in years.
They must locate family, find work and stay alive in the capital, San Salvador, a city with one of the highest murder rates in the world.
Recently deported Dilan, 18, returns to one of the most dangerous neighbourhoods on the outskirts of the capital, controlled by the notorious MS-13 gang.
After his first week back, Dilan meets Juan Martin, a recruiter for the country's booming call centre industry. Juan encourages Dilan to start life anew like the tens of thousands of deportees employed by call centres. But first Dilan needs to secure a Salvadoran ID.
Hundreds of thousands of Salvadorans face a similar fate as the Trump administration's deadline to cancel their Temporary Protected Status is set for September 2019.
More from Witness on:
YouTube - http://aje.io/witnessYT
Facebook - https://facebook.com/AJWitness
Twitter - https://twitter.com/AJWitness
Instagram - https://instagram.com/ajwitness/
Website - http://aljazeera.com/witness
- Subscribe to our channel: http://aje.io/AJSubscribe
- Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AJEnglish
- Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aljazeera
- Check our website: https://www.aljazeera.com/
- trump aljazeera english homeland security tatuajes 18th street gangs migrantes ms-13 mara 13 aljazeera.com deportees retornados marasalvatrucha deportees welcome mara salvatrucha aljazeera news daca outsourcing bienvendios centro de llamadas borders aljazeera al jazeera english deferred action fro childhood arrivals deportados bienvenidos undocumented immigrants bienvenidos en la playa central america homeland security degree homeland security police el salvador